The Cockburn Student Prize
THE COCKBURN STUDENT AWARD COMPETITION: GUIDELINES
1) The first author must be a paid-up student member of the PPA who has not previously won a Cockburn Student Competition Award.
2) Students who have completed all terminal degree requirements prior to the abstract submission deadline are not eligible.
3) Multi-authored papers are acceptable, but a current student must be the lead researcher and author.
4) The student author must present the paper or poster at the PPA Meeting.
5) The first author must indicate on the Abstract Submission Form that the paper or poster is being entered in the Cockburn Competition when the abstract is submitted to the Scientific Program Committee.
6) The abstract must be accepted by the Scientific Program Committee of the intended meeting.
7) The paper/poster cannot have been published prior to the meeting AND cannot have been presented at any other meeting prior to the PPA Meeting.
8) All papers and poster submissions must be submitted to the Director at Large (Student Liaison) via email at least TWO WEEKS prior to the meeting. Papers/posters NOT received on the Monday two weks prior to the start of the meeting will be disqualified from the competition. The deadline for email submission will be indicated on the abstract submission form and reminders will be posted on the student facebook page.
9) The competition judges will review all of the entry presentations during the meeting and the winners of the competition will be announced at the close of the meeting. There will be two cash prizes of $200.00USD awarded per meeting: one for the Best Student Podium Presentation and one for the Best Student Poster Presentation. A runner-up prize for the Best Poster Presentation of $100.00 USD will be awarded depending on the number of entrants. In lieu of book prizes, we are offering complementary annual memberships and conference registration (current and future) to the winners to avoid problems with international shipping of books, gift card acceptance, etc.
10) By entering the competition, the successful candidates agree to being photographed while receiving the award, and to have that image posted on the PPA website.