IJPP Early Career Award
The PPA and IJPP (Elsevier) jointly recognize through an annual award especially meritorious presentations delivered at the annual North American meeting by PPA members who are still early in their careers. Each year, one paper or poster will be chosen for such recognition, the author will receive a cash prize in the amount of $500 provided by Elsevier, and that individual is encouraged to submit the work to IJPP.
1) The candidate must be a current member of the PPA who has not previously won an IJPP Early Career Award.
2) The candidate must have the PhD in hand at the time of the PPA meeting (degree awarded, not merely the dissertation defended), and the meeting cannot be more than eight years after the PhD completion date (e.g., degree awarded in 2010, and meeting up to, and including, 2018). That is, the window of opportunity includes the PhD degree year and the following eight years (e.g., the 2010 through 2018 example above).
3) Papers can be multi-authored, but the candidate must be the first author and principal researcher. The candidate’s contributions must be clearly identified if the work is a group effort (multi-authored work).
4) The candidate must present the paper or poster at the annual PPA Meeting (North American meeting) or at either the PAMinSA or the European PPA meetings, if you have not submitted your paper for publication and received a round of reviews.
5) The candidate (first author) must indicate on the Abstract Submission Form that the paper or poster is entered in the IJPP Early Career Award Competition when the abstract is submitted to the Scientific Program Committee.
6) The abstract must be accepted by the Scientific Program Committee of the applicable meeting.
7) The paper or poster must be an original contribution that has not been published previously, and it cannot have been presented at any other meeting prior to the PPA meeting. For this purpose, results presented in the PhD dissertation, and only the dissertation, are excluded from this requirement.
8) A formal paper conforming to IJPP guidelines accompanied by the presentation materials (e.g., powerpoint slides and poster in small format) must be submitted in electronic format via email to the IJPP Editor and PPA President TWO WEEKS prior to the meeting. For clarification, submissions must be emailed by midnight Eastern Time (ET) two weeks prior to the first day of the PPA meeting (e.g.,midnight Sunday if PPA sessions start on a Monday; ET = GMT – 5 hours). The deadline is firm.
9) Competition judges consist of a combination of the PPA Board of Directors and the IJPP Associate Editors and/or Advisory Boards. They are appointed by the PPA President and IJPP Editor.
10) Competition judges will review all entries during the PPA meeting, and the competition winner will be announced at the close of that meeting.
11) The winner will receive a cash prize, currently $250, from Elsevier, and is encouraged to submit the winning paper to IJPP. Acceptance for publication is subject to the normal review process. If published, the article will be identified as having received the IJPP Early Career Award.
12) By entering the competition, the successful candidate agrees to being photographed while receiving the award, and to have that image posted on the PPA and Elsevier IJPP websites.